Give Mom a Special Gift on Mother’s Day

on Friday, May 04, 2018. Posted in The Madsen Blog "Centre Piece"

The National State of Girls Report issued last year ranks Florida 39th in the nation based on 13 national measures of girls well-being. Consider the statistics: Seventy-three percent of eighth-grade girls in Florida are not proficient in math. Fifty-eight percent of fourth-grade girls are not proficient in reading. Thirty-eight percent of girls ages 5 through 17 are in single-parent families and 23% living in poverty. Twenty-one percent of girls ages 6 through 17 do not participate in any organized activity and 26% ages 12 through 17 are not involved in any community service or volunteer work.

 

In the past six years, I have learned first-hand how the harsh realities of life can intrude on innocent lives – many girls deal with depression or anxiety caused by forces beyond their control. A daughter abandoned by her mom; young teens bullied by their peers, the mean girl syndrome taking its toll on already fragile feelings, anxiety lingering from school shootings and the impact of the Seminole Heights killer … These are the kinds of issues we have dealt this year at our Centre for Girls.

 

centre4girls_final logoIn the hustle-bustle atmosphere where laughter permeates the halls, The Centre for Girls is an oasis for girls ages 5 through 14, a safe place where they can be themselves, where imaginations spark innovations and after-school adventures open up new possibilities.

 

Centre for Girls Director Sartura Shuman Smith is an experienced child educator with an effervescent personality and a strong passion to help girls succeed. She developed an innovative S.T.E.A.M. curriculum, recruited a talented team of educators, and transformed The Centre for Girls into a unique resource where girls not only feel safe, but discover a place brimming with opportunity – music, dance, sewing, digital arts, art, photography, journalism, tutoring help, and after-school adventures are just part of the mix.  Most days, we are filled to capacity, averaging 60-plus girls after school and in summer camp.

Happily, The Centre for Girls is 80% funded by the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County.  We rely on the generosity of individuals and corporations to find the other 20% for operations.

canstockphoto25650054So, this holiday in honor of your mom and all the mothers in the community, please consider a unique Mother’s Day gift that will change a life. Give a gift to The Centre for Girls to celebrate your mom.

So give today and make a difference in the life of a child. Happy Mother’s Day!

www.thecentre.org

Social Bookmarks

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest. Optional login below.

Cancel Submitting comment...